It’s good to follow your dreams, but it’s also good to know how much those dreams will make you.
OneClass is an online tutoring company that has compiled data from Payscale to find the best majors for earning potential. The majors were sorted by order of precedence for mid-career salaries.
These are the college majors with the highest long-term payoff:
10. Economics: $126,900
9. Business Analysis: $129,800
8. Systems Engineering: $131,200
7. Aeronautics: $133,300
6. Building Science: $135,000
5. Public Accounting: $135,000
4. Chemical Engineering: $138,100
3. Actuarial Mathematics: $158,100
2. Industrial Engineering: $166,300
1. Petroleum Engineering: $183,600
Given the state of the current student debt crisis, students of these majors can rest more easily. While student debt is still significant and usually inevitable, if you can hold a job while going to school, and graduate with one of these majors, then you should be fine in the long-run, barring any serious and unforeseen changes to the economy. Regardless, the services rendered by professionals in these majors are generally always extremely valuable.